2017 SC INBRE Instrumentation Resource Facility Research Symposium
The Instrumentation Resource Facility (IRF) and SC INBRE hosted a Research Symposium June 14-16. The symposium featured several talks by faculty using IRF equipment in their research, posters, and two keynote presentations by Jay Jerome of Vanderbilt University and Teng-Leong Chew of the HHMI Janelia Farms Research Campus (see below).
There were also several workshops on equipment and software in the IRF. All presenters received a $500 voucher for use of equipment and services in the IRF and the best poster presentation received an additional $500 voucher. Full program can be viewed here.
- 95 people registered for the Symposium
- 14 presentations by USC Faculty describing their use of IRF equipment
- 2 Keynote presentations by Dr. Jay Jerome, Vanderbilt University, and Teng Leong Chew, Janelia Research
- 8 Workshops provided training on a range of state-of-the-art equipment in the IRF
- Two poster winners from a total of 33 posters that were presented:
- Yogin Patel, Mithil Soni, Shou Liu, Hexin Chen. Role of miR-489 in mammary gland development and Her2 mediated tumorigenesis
- Kristen Larsen, Yu Zhang, Celestia Davis, Daniel Hughes, Maria Pena. The Role of Interleukin 33/ST2 Axis in Growth and Liver Metastasis of Colorectal Cancer
Dr. Jay Jerome is an Associate Professor in the Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology and Director of the Electron Microscopy Core at Vanderbilt University. Dr. Jerome is a Fellow of the American Heart Association and the Microscopy Society of America and a past President of the Microscopy Society of America. His research is internationally recognized and he has taught a large number of national and international workshops on confocal microscopy and he co-authored the well-received “Basic Confocal Microscopy” book. His presentation was "Chewing the Fat: Atherosclerosis, Autophagy and Microscopy."
Dr. Teng-Leong Chew was previously the Director of the University Imaging Resources at Northwestern University and is currently the Director of the Advanced Imaging Center (AIC) at the HHMI Janelia Farms Research Campus. The AIC makes advanced imaging technologies developed at Janelia available to the scientific community before the instruments can be purchased commercially. Dr. Chew will provide information about super resolution microscopes available in the AIC and the procedures for accessing these instruments in his presentation “Accessing the Emerging Imaging Technologies at the Advanced Imaging Center, HHMI Janelia Research Campus.”
For more information, contact: Bob Price, IRF Director
Page updated June 28, 2017